Jul 1, 2019
Her path of discovery and personal healing came after a devastating reaction from a cycle of antibiotics - ultimately leading her to discover the strange world of microbes and our relationship with them.
In this episode we cover:
• Microbes have been evolving with us since before we were human
• 10% human refers to the statistic that there are 10x more microbes in and on the body that human cells. That number has shifted closer to 50% recently, but it says a lot about our relationship to microbes
• Skepticism of the assumption that diversity of microbiome in the gut is the answer for optimal health (some developing nations eat 1 thing Inuit)
• Koala moms feed their joey’s poop because eucalyptus is hard to digest
• Tips for keeping a healthy microbe balance in and on your body. Like - not using antibacterial soap for body or home. The importance of vaginal bacteria in birth and the problems with C-sections and more.
• Her new book Fatology - the role of microbes in obesity